The geophysical techniques used for marine archaeo-geophysical survey are hydroacoustic, magnetic, electromagnetic, resistivity, remote, geodetic, photo-, video- and many other methods. Among the widely used methods are inhabitable and uninhabitable underwater devices, as well as computer equipment for processing, interpretation and presentation of the information obtained.
The following geophysical systems are in wide use due to their high productivity which permits the prospecting of large areas for a relatively short time and practically unlimited depth. The application of these methods makes it possible to obtain information about the type and the character of the archaeological site, about the bottom relief and the sediments below it, about the palaeogeographic conditions, geological structure, etc.
Geophysical instruments of CUA
1. Single-beam echo sounder, BBT ES Flamingo R100DGR; BBT-DGPS-09; BBT Marine Electronics Ltd.
2. Multi-beam sonar, Teledyne Odom Hydrographic
- Real Time Appliance (RTA);
- Digibar V;
- Digibar S
3. Sub-bottom profiler SES 2000 Compact, Innomar Technologie GmbH
4. Side scan sonar, StarFish 450H, Tritech Co. UK
5. 2 DGPS, Trimble SPSx61; SPSx51, Trimble
6. ROV-SYS-PRO 4-PS-300SE-P, VideoRay
7. Metal detector, Pulse 8x