The earliest finds on site marked the presence of an inundated prehistoric settlement dating from the Early Bronze Age (3rd millennium BC). In later periods (7th c. BC - 19th c. AD) the bay was used as a harbour. It was naturally protected by the St. Dimitar Cape, which at the time stretched further out to sea than at present. Ceramic sherds and amphorae from Late Antiquity, the Early- and Late Medieval Age were discovered, as well as pottery and clay pipes from the Ottoman period.
Multiple items related to maritime activities on site were discovered including stone anchors, as well as stone- and lead stocks from composite anchors. Diagnostic fragments from amphorae (necks) dated to Late Antiquity (4th - 7th c. AD) were also present, including one example which contains a grafitto of a Latin cross in combination with the letter ‘T’. Under the grafitto the name “THERA” is inscribed in Greek letters. Thera is the name of a road station, mentioned in the Tabula Peutingeriana (3rd - 4th c. AD), located to the south of Sozopol. There is also mentioned as a Black Sea harbour in the epitome of Menippus of Pergamon. According to the Portolans and Nautical charts of the Medieval Period the harbour was known as “Oriospotamo” or “Oropotamo”. In a text from 1737 by the French geographer Jean Belen, it appears under the name “Padama”. According to Belen, “there were small ships that came to lie alongside the wharves of the harbor and loaded firewood and charcoal for conveyance to Istanbul.”
In 2017, an international team of scientists recommenced the underwater archaeological excavations in the Ropotamo river mouth, in the frames of the international Black Sea Maritime Archaeology Project (Black Sea MAP):